Village History

Rochester can trace its roots back to 1819 when James McCoy built the first cabin. Joseph and James McCoy traded a wagon load of coonskins to Elijah Iles in Springfield for four sacks of salt.  This was considered the first economic transaction in Sangamon County.  For the next fifty years (1819-1869), Rochester grew and prospered with the addition of more families, established businesses; such as saw mills and flour mills, plus a corn and carding mill with a distillery, and a post office. In 1823, the first school was established and classes were held in a log house.  Abraham Lincoln was known to visit Rochester on various occasions.  As the town of Rochester continued to develop, it was officially incorporated as a village on February 1, 1869.

To view Rochester’s history from 1818 to 1936 click Rochester Timeline!

 

see snow train pdf for info(2)scn_0033

Carloe know about this

Carloe know about this

scn_0015rumc 1st building_001rochester schools classrochester school - 1881 on main st. became masonic lodge in 1920.rochester band 1907roch long ago postcardpoffenbarger schools namespoffenbarger school - 1940-41outside view - east door of 1920 school facing n. walnut - housed all 11 grades (only 3 yrs of hs offered)original 1937 high schooloriginal 1920 school facing n walnutold town hallold rochester ball park on e. mainold railroad trestle - mid 1980s at west main & rt. 29old masonic templeold bankold bank (2)new hs in 1963 became known as j wingnew cafeteria built in 1951, seen here may 1967memorial day 1969

Margie Estrop knows about this

Margie Estrop knows about this

main street looking westgrandpa millers homefrom inside - east door of 1920 school facing n. walnut - housed all 11 grades (only 3 yrs of hs offered)feed millemma bondcornerstone from 1920 schoolcornerstone from 1920 school (2)collage of bob waldmire's art workcascde school 2cascade school memorycafeteria built in 1951cacade schoolbuilt in 1959 1962 aerial view of new hsb & o depotann pickett in her home ready for a thanksgiving of the pastacross from funeral home - was once a candy shop - early to mid 1950s.1920 school facing walnut3 generations - grandpa poffenbarger in wagon with elmer huffman, & his mother, stella huffman, in buggy