Rochester is ready to celebrate its 150th birthday throughout 2019. Each month has a focus on a specific event.
An overview of these activities is listed below:
- Founder’s Day – 1869
- Rochester officially incorporated
- February 1, 2019 – Founder’s Day Celebration
- President – Elect Grant will participate in the ceremony.
- Prize for a baby born on or the closest to March 1, 2019
- The first child born in Rochester Township, Sangamon County was March 1, 1819.
- Writing contest for students: “What will Rochester look like in 2069?”
- Quilt Show & Tea
Reservation only, April 13, 2019 – Rochester United Methodist Church
We are looking for QUILTS to feature in the show. They must pre-date 1950.
- Arbor Day tree plantings
- Unveiling of Vintage Poster
- 2nd Historical Home Tour in Downtown Rochester
- Prairie & Farm Fields
- July 13th – focus on local agriculture:
- John Deere portrayal by Brian Ellis
- Antique Tractor Show
- Events for children
- Surveying Program – Bob Church
- James McCoy Portrayal by David Ramsey
- August 30th – Presentation of large flag at home football game
- Tombstone Walk
- Rochester Township Cemetery
- Dedication of James McCoy family cemetery plaque
13th – 14th – 15th
Week-end of Events
We have started our focus on fund-raising with a “150 for $150” campaign which targets 150 donors who will contribute $150.
If you would like to be a part of this project, please feel free to contribute any amount you wish as all donations are very much appreciated.
Please go to the Fund-raising portion of the website for the Donor Card information.
Carolyn: (firstname.lastname@example.org) or at 498-7891
Ruth Ann: (email@example.com) or at 498-9804
Used with permission from the Rochester Times
McDaniel, Toby. “Rochester Sesquicentennial.” Rochester Times