Celebrate the Sesquicentennial
150 Years of Rochester
Rochester is ready to celebrate its 150th birthday throughout 2019. Each month has a focus on a specific event. Please check out our Facebook page.
An overview of these activities is listed below:
- Sesquicentennial Tea at 2 o’clock, April 13.
- Quilt Show, Bed Turning at 3 o’clock, April 13.
Reservation only, April 13, 2019 – Rochester United Methodist Church
We are looking for QUILTS to feature in the show. They must pre-date 1950.
- Unveiling of Vintage Poster
- “The 3 R’s” – Monday, May 13, 7 PM at the Rochester United Methodist Church
- 2nd Historical Home Tour in Downtown Rochester (See Events Page for more details)
- Prairie & Farm Fields (at the Rochester Fire Department)
- July 13th – focus on local agriculture:
- John Deere portrayal by Brian “Fox” Ellis
- Antique Tractor Show
- Events for children
- James McCoy Portrayal by David Ramsey
Major Sponsor: Sloan Implement Company
- July 27th – Focus on Rochester Authors and Artists past and present (at the Rochester Library)
- August 30th – Presentation of large flag at home football game
- Tombstone Walk – Rochester Township Cemetery
- Arbor Day tree plantings
- September 7th to – Dedication of James McCoy family cemetery plaque
- Sesquicentennial Run/Walk
September 14, 2019
Sign up for run/walk HERE
13th – 14th – 15th – Sesquicentennial Weekend Celebration
There are several events that have been scheduled for the Sesquicentennial Weekend Celebration! Some of these include:
- Pancake Breakfast
- 5k/10k Walk / Run
- Opening Ceremonies and Festivities in the Park in the Stone House
- Miss Rochester Pageant
Events are still being scheduled and arranged. Keep checking back to keep up to date on all the events that will be going on throughout the weekend!
Have something you would like to see at the Sesquicentennial Celebration?
Tell us about it! Click the link HERE.
We have started our focus on fund-raising with a “150 for $150” campaign which targets 150 donors who will contribute $150.
If you would like to be a part of this project, please feel free to contribute any amount you wish as all donations are very much appreciated.
Please go to the Fund-raising portion of the website for the Donor Card information.
Carolyn: (firstname.lastname@example.org) or at 498-7891
Ruth Ann: (email@example.com) or at 498-9804
Used with permission from the Rochester Times
McDaniel, Toby. “Rochester Sesquicentennial.” Rochester Times